As I write this entry, I stare upon a mountain of clothing stacked in the guest room. I am aware that British Airways has decided that I only need ONE, yes ONE, suitcase for the 9 MONTHS I am going to spend in Berlin, Germany, but I have not yet brought myself to cut down my wardrobe to the designated limit.
Although I really do like my clothes, the hardest thing about leaving items behind is missing the things they represent. I remember running through Stone Henge in those shorts sophomore year. I remember wearing those shoes to the Backer on many a night. How could I possibly leave behind those shoes? (Actually, I think those shoes need to be disposed of immediately. Or possibly shot into space. How does one appropriately dispose of Backer- Sludge- contaminated shoes?) What about the wooden box that housed my football tickets for (cough, cough) APPROXIMATELY 4 years? Or the scarf that my best friend brought me back from Chile?
We packed the car to move my younger brother back to school today. The slightly disconcerting squeal of the van's wheels as we loaded more weight in that car than the fine people at Toyota ever intended triggers the alarm in my head that it's time to go back to school. However, for the first time in 4 years, I am not domeward bound. Instead of laundry detergent, I'm packing teaching materials. Instead of setting up phone dates, I'm setting up Skype dates. Things have changed since I walked into Farley, a homesick freshman who called her mom every day on the phone... oh wait, I still do that.
But seriously, I'm writing now because I will miss all of you. Since I can't bring you all with in my very limited suitcase space, please read this and feel included in my newest adventure. Also, know that there is someone on the other side of the world thinking about you!
Um...you have to bring the scarf.
ReplyDeleteYou should send all of the clothes you can't fit into your suitcase to me. I'll keep them safe for you til you get back...
ReplyDeleteAlso- bloggin must be in the air- My aunt works for the archdiosese and so me and Chris are the "Engaged Couple Bloggers" Really it's just me and I speak for Chris also (as it should be). He thought I was kidding when I told him we were blogging. http://precana.blogspot.com/?c_id=106&t_id=2 We're under the "Meet the Newest Engaged Couple" on the right, but I don't think the actual blog is up yet.
Sorry for the novel written on your wall.
Crysta, I have the scarf. I couldn't leave it behind... although I did forget shampoo!
ReplyDeleteKathleen, I can't wait to read your blog.